Emil had three sons — Larry, Gary and Dave. Larry took over Olsen’s National Auto Glass in Medford, Oregon, until he retired. Gary took over Olsen’s Auto Glass in Eugene, Oregon, and moved it to 6th and Almaden. Later Gary sold the glass shop to the current owners of Lane County Glass. Dave took over Olsen’s Auto Wreckers at 6th and Garfield. Then Dave reopened the glass shop in the early 1980s in the original glass shop building.
Jim Olsen, Dave’s oldest son, starting working for Olsen’s Auto Glass in 1988. When Jim started, Emil, at age 86, would find a ride to the glass shop every day to show his grandson how to run the business. Emil survived in this business for many years with good customer relations skills, fair prices and quality products.
Jim learned a lot more then he realized from Emil, and the most important lesson was to be honest with all customers. Jim spent 5 years in San Diego working for All Star Glass as a manager. In San Diego Jim wrote the technical manual for glass replacement for the zero emissions vehicle The Impact from GMC that was being tested in San Diego. Jim also teaches continuing education classes for insurance agents on correct auto glass replacement.
Jim took over the management of Olsen's Auto Glass in 2005. A lot has changed since 1938, but Emil's dedication to excellent customer service and quality products at fair prices is still very much the same.
Contact Olsen's Auto Glass today for more information or a free quote!
We're proud to be a third-generation, family-owned business still serving our friends and neighbors in the community of Eugene-Springfield.
Olsen’s Auto Glass was started in 1938 by Emil Olsen. Emil traded a truckload of wood for a wrecked Model A. Back then, car parts were hard to find, but Emil wanted to find a way to fix the vehicle. While the vehicle was parked, still waiting to be fixed, a neighbor offered to buy the good parts off the car to fix his vehicle. That is when Olsen’s Auto Wreckers began in the same location we are in today.
Emil would tell you that he built the glass shop building in the early 1950s because women would dress up when they left the house, and they didn't want to get out of the vehicle in the wrecking yard because of the greasy floor.